Monday, July 21, 2008

The World Will Write For You, If You Pay Attention.

- Craig English

I arrived home from the aforementioned writers conference at 8:28 this evening. I know some of you wanted me to let you know how it went, so I figured I'd give you all a bit of a debriefing.

The conference was spectacular. Living here, with all my friends who have at least semi-stable plans for their lives, it was so nice to be with four hundred other people who have the same crazy aspirations as you do. It was encouraging to listen to Robert Liparulo talk about his success and have Dia Calhoun teaching about how to make your writing better.
I really learned so much. The second day into the conference, I already had a ton of things to fix in my story, and I only have the first chapter done. (And I suppose 'done' is a bad word, since I have to fix it...) I have page after page after page of notes. But, I suppose, the highlight of the trip were the meetings with the agent and editor.

Now, don't get too excited. I haven't signed any million dollar book deals, and I'm still unrepresented. But, I'm fine with that.

My first meeting was with Minju Chang. She was the agent. I introduced myself and launched into my pitch. Halfway through, she stopped me to say she could tell that I've done this before. I hadn't done this before. She asked me a few questions about the basic storyline, my hero, my heroine, etc. She then asked me if I had the first page with me. This is the point where I thank God for my sister who, that morning, had emailed what I have of a manuscript to me so I could print it out at the hotel. So, yes, I did have the first page. I gave it to her and she read it carefully (while I sat in agonizing silence). She then told me that she loved the story idea and that she was very interested in it. She told me that I have a lot of promise and talent, and that her only suggestion was to put a little more backstory in the first few paragraphs to make the main character deeper. She then suggested that I join a writing group to keep my writing tight. Essentially, she's interested and I should definitely send in a query, but I'm not quite there yet. But that's okay, because the story's nowhere near done. So, overall, very good first meeting. And she said hi to me the next day, so I know she remembered me. That's good.

The next day, I had my meeting with Heather Osborn, who is one of the acquiring editors for Tor Fantasy (Brianna, think Herbie Brennan, T.A. Barron, Tanith Lee). The meeting was half and hour long and was supposed to be a group session, but I was the only one who showed up for the first fifteen minutes. So, while that nearly made me throw up with nervousness, it was ultimately better for me to be alone with her. After the introductions were done with, I gave her my pitch as well, and then proceeded to tell her about the story and the main characters. She loved it. She told me that she was very interested and that it would fit right in with what Tor already publishes and that she wanted me to send it in when I'm done. After she wrote my name down, so she would remember me when I sent the manuscript in, she told me not to bother with a query letter and to just send in the first three chapters (or fifty pages) once I'm ready. I was thrilled. (And then one other woman showed up to the meeting, and the conversation turned to our favorite books and such. Not important.)

So, I left the conference with both an agent and an editor who are interested in my writing. One said I have talent, and the other specifically asked for my manuscript. Overall, I'd say that's not bad. In fact, I'm slightly ecstatic. This looks like it's really going to happen. And that's a fantastic feeling.

I'm aware that it'll be a long and hard process, and that there's a good chance that they might even forget me by the time I'm finished with the first book. I was told to expect at least 100 rejections for every 1 acceptance, when I'm starting out. It's going to be tough. As Robert Dugoni put it, "You've got to be a bulldog in this business, kid. You've got to be a bulldog." And he's right, because that's exactly what this is. It's a business. There will come a point where my creativity and talent and artistic ability will have to step aside and make room for the cold, hard business of publishing to cut in. Last year, I would have been disgusted by that. But I've realized that pushing your way to the top doesn't mean sacrificing the art. I just have to be able to compartmentalize it. Writing the story is only half the battle. After that, it's all business. And that's okay with me. I can be a bulldog.

5 comments:

TSHAA said...

Chelsea! Thats awesome! I've been thinking and wondering how it was going at the conference for you all weekend. I'm glad it went well. How exciting. I was hoping when I got online today there would be a write-up. Very cool!

Anonymous said...

You talked about Tor Fantasy and did not mention Robert Jordan....

tsk tsk tsk...

:)

Glad it went well though.

Chelsea said...

Haha. I apologize. I've never read the Wheel of Time series. I just picked out a few authors I recognized from the list.

Bri said...

This is so fantastic. I am so happy for you!

So have you decided about the whole college degree or not yet?

Chelsea said...

I'm still going to school. I mean, it would be fantastic if I got published soon, because I'm really only going to make sure I'd be able to get a job, you know? And so if I got published and was successful, that would eliminate that problem. So we'll see. For now, I'm going to school.