Wednesday, November 05, 2008

NaNoWriMo

National Novel Writing Month is November, apparently, and this organization is trying to get everyone (all the writers out there, at least) to write a 50,000 word novel from scratch this month. So, thanks to James for pointing that out, because I see this as a challenge, and now have absolutely no excuse to put off my writing. If everyone else can write 50,000 words this month, then I can too.

Technically, I'm cheating, because I'm not starting from scratch. I'm adding another 50,000 to my current story, because starting a new one at this point would be detrimental, I think. So I'm not signing up for anything on the website, because I don't think that would be fair. Although, I think I deserve some credit, because I'm starting five days late. That puts me back at my two-thousand-words-a-day summer schedule, which was significantly easier to follow during the summer.

But this, if it works, will bring my total word count up to around 75,000 words. The editor from Tor told me my book should be about 80,000-100,000 words long. So, that means I should be a few chapters shy of finished. And I think I'm making it known to you all that I'm doing this so that I have some expectations. And if I don't get the 50,000 words, I'm going to kick myself for mentioning any of this. So hopefully my pride will help me out, here.

So much for sleep.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Are you honestly in that much of a hurry to finish it? I'd try to not work your brain child into just a couple of months, take time on the first one.

However if you think you could do it, I'd enter in and make a story from scratch for practice since you're serious about writing.

Chelsea said...

No way, I'm not in any position to start something new. And anyway, working my 'brain child' into a couple months means that I'll be finished with the first draft soon. I'll still have to revise, so it's not like I'm simply throwing words onto a page and then sending it out.

Don't worry, no quality sacrifices.

mo said...

I can't wit to read more of your story. it is very good. i wish you the best of luck because i can't even imagine trying to get that much written..but that is probably because i am not that creative. i hope that it all goes well