Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Creative Writing Assignment

In Creative Writing, we got our first homework assignment today. We're supposed to write a blog. Obviously, not too difficult for me.
In class, I had to write a journal entry - anything that happened to leave the tip of our pens and transfer onto the paper - and I figured it wasn't half bad for something I just randomly thought up. So, since our homework was to write a blog, I figured I'd just blog what I wrote in my journal assignment, with a few changes to it.

(Mrs. Miles, I might as well tell you now: I'm a chronic editor. I'm fairly certain that it's some literary form of a mental health problem, seeing as how I'm slightly obsessive-compulsive about it.)

So, with a few alterations, here is what I wrote in my Creative Writing journal:

The rain beat heavily upon her window. As she lay in bed, trying to sleep, she couldn't help but listen to the steady tap-tap-tapping of the drops against the glass. They were angry, she imagined. All of them -- angry -- pounding furiously against her window. Wanting into her room, where they could splash against her cool skin, the incessant beating of them upon her soaking her to the bone and shattering all human thought.

They were calling to her, these myriad raindrops. An unrelenting army of them, calling. Their cries were desperate. In their fury, they took on an almost understandable language. Their invitation was archaic. But something wild and untamable in herself cried back. Something in herself understood their cry.


She opened the assaulted window and let the rain pour in -- allowing the piercing drops to rip into her. A dark, strong desire welled up inside her and she, like a nymph, surrendered herself to the rain.

It's a little rough, but it'll do for now.
Maybe I'll build on it tomorrow in class.

She needs a name.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

please don't start her name with an e.

that's too easy because culturaly we associate e-mily and e-mo with rain and spooky.

Chelsea said...

Haha. Point taken. No "e" names, then.

M@ndy said...

Chelsea, other than the fact that you are my favorite person, you are also an amazing writer. I hope that you write more in the future and that I get to read them!

I love you much..and I also agree with James.