Tuesday, December 20, 2005

Wow

I found this book in my school library and I thought it looked pretty good, so I checked it out. It's called "Diary of a Teenage Girl: It's My Life" and I'm having such a hard time puting it down. I really feel like I can relate to what the main character is going through. Not her experiences, really...just the way she's feeling. Consider the following...it's an excerpt from the "diary"

"Wednesday, October 10 (ok, so no one's perfect)

Today in psychology class we learned about codependant personalities and now I'm afraid I might actually be one-- and let me tell you, it's not a pretty picture. But the good news is this personality disorder is preventable and curable, and I'm thinking if I nip it in the bud (not to mention going to God for help) I might be able to beat it. So what is codependent? At first I just thought it meant someone who depends on others too much, and I suppose that's partially right. But it's more like someone who thinks that they need to take care of everyone else and fix everything else to the point where their whole identity is tied up in caring and worrying about others. Sound familiar? And eventually they neglect themselves so much that they have no joy in living, and then they tend to just make everyone around them miserable with their guilt trips and meddling.
Well let me tell you, that's NOT what I want for my life. Not at all. No sireee! Now I'm trying to understand the difference between a person who is just naturally helpful and caring and one who's truly a codependent. And I'm just not sure exactly where I draw the line in myself. And I must admit that over just the last year, I've made myself almost sick with worry about others from time to time...

DEAR GOD, PLEASE SHOW ME THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN REALLY HELPING SOMEONE THE RIGHT WAY AND BEING CODEPENDENT. I THINK IF MY CARING AND LOVE COMES FROM YOU, I'LL BE OKAY. BUT I'M JUST NOT SURE I KNOW THE DIFFERENCE. PLEASE SHOW ME HOW TO LIVE MY LIFE IN A WAY THAT IS HEALTHY AND PLEASING TO YOU. AMEN."


-Dairy of a Teenage Girl: It's My Life, pgs 162-164

There is so much more I would love to put up...but I would suggest just reading the whole book. I'm really really liking it. There's also a big summer mission trip she goes on, which I can equally relate to. Amazing.

No comments: