Saturday, September 23, 2006

And I Thought I Had A Full Year...

My grandma took me out to breakfast this morning. I ate, quite possibly, the biggest breakfast on the face of the earth. And I had a really good time.
We talked a lot about school, and I was reminded again just how easy we Americans have it. My grandma said that in Indonesia you are required to take twenty-one different subjects. Twenty-one!!! You have to take French, German, and English. Have to. After two years, you're allowed to drop either French or German, but you still have to take English and one other language. My grandma told me that when she went to school, they didn't have books. Only the teacher did. So the teacher would write it all out on the blackboard and you would have to copy it down. And then she said that the tests were really hard.
Really hard. As in, sit down and the question asks "What happened in 1776?" and you have four hours to write everything that happened in 1776. All over the world. Every continent and country. How many of you could do that?

...*Cricket, cricket*...

Yeah, me either.


And so then she said that once you got to your junior year in high school you would decide what you wanted to do with your life. There were three options. A, B, and C.
A's were into history and language. (That's what my grandma chose)
B's were into math and science stuff. Doctors, lawyers, engineers.
C's were the ones who would grow up and be teachers or something like that.
And so you would chose, A, B, or C, and then you would take classes that were specifically designed for that choice.

...So...does this make you feel like a whimp for complaining? Because that's how I feel right about now.

3 comments:

James said...

in canada we had to walk up hill to get to school in the snow and ice. So we wrapped barb wire around our bare feet so we could get a better grip.

Chelsea said...

Haha.
What mental caliber.
I'm impressed.

Anonymous said...

No, I don't feel like a whimp. I'm taking 17 credits. A full load is 12 credits. To take 18 you need instructor approval. I spent $400 dollars on books and supplies...today...and still didn't get everything I need. And my locker is the size of two large shoeboxes. Seriously. I'm so hyped to be seriously back into school. Though don't ask me how I feel about school around Thanksgiving. It's going to be a nightmare then. :P

- Sarah U