Friday, July 22, 2005

Oh, Canada...

I don't even know where to begin describing my week in Vancouver Canada. It was such an eye opener to me. Working in the part of town where the only tourists you're likely to see are lost ones, I really got to experience...reality. On Monday we did a prayer walk around town. I was terrified. Everything was just so open. It was legal to do drugs where we were, so nobody bothered to keep it hidden. I worked at a place called Mission Possible. For the first part of the day, we did secretary-type work, stuffing envelopes, etc. While my team and I were doing this, people were lining up outside of the doors, eagerly awaiting a free meal. When the doors opened at 1:00, I was in the kitchen preparing myself for an onslaught of horrible, thankless people. I've never been more wrong in my life. These people were so nice, and so greatful. I really bonded with so many people, and it broke my heart to see them there day after day. I was at such a loss for words to describe my feelings that I really wasn't sure what to say at our church group at nights. On Wednesday night, I completely broke down in tears. Cassie and I stayed after everyone else had left, just sobbing. We sat there for a good while, James prayed for us, and we, after a few more minutes, got up to go to bed(after talking to Lacy for a bit). But Wednesday evening, we went to street church. Street church was incredible. It was a church, right in the middle of all the drugs and everything. People came and got a free meal, and then could stay for the service. I had the privelige of helping to lead worship there. Several people gave testimonies, and one of the leaders from Canada spoke. And before we went to street church, we did another prayer walk. I felt so...uesd to it. I was seeing people I had met and served, and everything just seemed so normal. It was really hard, but at the same time, all too easy to leave on Friday morning. But I'm already eagerly awaiting next year's trip.

4 comments:

Bri said...

why did you cry?? jw hmmm...i'm tired! well ya

Chelsea said...

I cried because there were just SO many problems and so many people and it seemed like, no matter what I did, nothing would even begin to help. I just felt really really bad for the people...bad doesn't even describe it. I think heartbroken maybe is a little closer to what I was feeling. I'm not sure how to put it into words.

mo said...

That is so sad. That had to be an amazing experience. It would have to be hard though to see all those people with so many different problems. I am so glad I got to see you when you got back. I hope evrything is going well. Talk to you later.

Anonymous said...

*Sings to the tune of I left my heart in San Francisco*
"I left my heart in Vancouver"

Yeah my emotions at times were so messed up and confused. That was one intense trip.

~Joyce aka Eruetelehtalme