Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Laughter, The Universal Language

So last weekend, I went up to Portland and stayed with my aunt, Kumi, and uncle, Tom. We went up to Washington for a couple days and stayed in a darling little condo there on some beach. Practically nobody was at the beach. It was wonderful.
And Kumi's niece(I don't know how I'm related to her... we're probably cousins removed somehow or something...) is here from Korea. She's staying with Tom and Kumi until September, and she's been here for a while. She's taking English classes at PSU right now.
Really, she speaks English very well, but she doesn't like to. So the whole time, Tom was trying to get her and me to talk to each other, despite our little language barrier. It was tough, breaking the ice... seeing as how I don't know any Korean(or didn't, at the time) and she didn't like to speak English. So it was a slow begining.
But then, while we were at the coast, Tom and Kumi took Alex to a park for about an hour and a half. That left Yoon Young and I. Well, and an elderly couple. But we were sitting there, in the room we were sharing, and we just sort of started laughing. I don't really know why. But it was enough to finally get us talking. So she talked, in English, with me for the whole time Tom and Kumi were gone.
Before we knew it, we were talking about everything under the sun. It was way fun for me, because I learned a whole lot more about Korean culture. Heck, I even picked up a few Korean words! I've been catching myself saying "no problem" in Korean lately. And we compared all sorts of things here in America with things in Korea. We talked about friends, school, what we do in our free time, boys... Haha it was like we were lifelong friends just chatting away a storm. It was pretty neat.
And then we went and saw Lady In the Water together. It was way good. I mean, I just about wet my pants a couple times. But it was really good. I say it was way better than Signs and the Village. By a long shot. And there were people in the movie speaking Korean. Which was slightly amusing. I had no idea... but then Yoon Young leans over and she's like "They're speaking Korean!" So it was pretty cool.
And Alex... Oh my. That kid is a crack up. He adores being the center of attention. And he would do just about anything to get attention. Like when we were riding to the mall. Tom was driving, and Yoon Young, Alex, and I were sitting in the back(me in the middle). Suddenly, Alex is like "Daddy, I want to go ice skating at the mall." So Tom says okay and Alex turns to me and starts talking again.
"I'm a really good ice skater. I go really, really fast! I go ice skating a lot." I'm nodding my approval when Tom cuts in.
"Alex, you've never been ice skating." So I'm sitting there trying not to crack up, but Alex isn't done yet.
"Actually, Dad, I have." I loose it. It was just too funny. But it didn't matter, Alex didn't take offense. In fact, he was only just getting started. "Me and Maxwell play hockey all the time. And he would try to hit it and every time he missed! And I hit it every time! It was so funny..." and he dissolves into a fit of laughter, along with the rest of us in the car.
But then Tom is like "Alex, I think this is just all in your imagination."
"No Dad. It's in your imagination!" Hahaha he just had to get the last word in... Regardless of whether or not it made any sense. But it was way funny. He's the funniest four year old kid I know. No lie. I say he's going to be totally into acting someday.
It was grand.

2 comments:

Bri said...

Wow sounds like you had a ball...lol that's really cool that you were able to talk to her though will any of us get to meet her?

Chelsea said...

I don't know... We were hoping she'd be able to come and stay down here for a while, but I don't know if it will work out with all her classes and stuff.