Sunday, January 22, 2006

End of the Spear

First off, let me say that End of the Spear was an incredible movie. What really made it...real for me was watching the movie and then going directly to a seminar where Steve Saint(Nate Saint's son) was there talking, and guess who was with him? Mincaye, the very same man who led the spearing raid of 5 missionaries in 1956- one of them being Nate Saint. The whole story was amazing, and then really seeing him and hearing stories about his people(the Waodani Indians) was really neat. Haha, we even saw a video clip of Steve and Mincaye blow gun hunting in Central Park.

But I think what really struck me was this. **Spoiler warning, for any of you who don't know the story**

In the Waodani culture, it was Steve Saint's right to avenge his father's death by killing Mincaye. Now, I don't think I could bring myself to kill someone, but Steve Saint not only let Mincaye live, but they're friends. How hard would that be? Being friends with the man who killed your father? As much as I'd love to say I'd be able to do it in a flash...I don't honestly know. I watched a movie or something over the summer, and there was this tribe of people who they talked about. And in that culture, if someone killed a family member of yours, the murderer would have their hands and feet bound and they'd be thrown into the river. You were the only one who could, if you chose, jump in and save them. Could I do it?? I don't know.
But even more amazing, Mincaye knew that Steve would grow up and have the right to kill him. What does he do? Does he try and kill Steve, just to get rid of the threat? No. Mincaye takes Steve in while he's a kid and teaches him the skills he needed to survive in the jungle where they were living. Now that is a life changed by God...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thing is that even if I wanted to, I could never bring myself to the point of taking a human life or willingly participate in the taking of one. Tough question tho... I'm not sure either even with my I couldn't take a life bit.

***SO THAT EXPLAINS WHY IN THE PREVIEWS STEVE HOLDS A SPEAR AGAINST MINCAYA'S CHEST! I was wondering what that was about***

Bri said...

Ok now I want to see this EVEN MORE that I already did lol! One of you has to come see it with me! ok? ok. And I'm pretty sure that Joyce could take human life because I'm pretty sure she has been about to kill me a few hundred times! LOL :) anyway...this sounds really amazing the story it's just like unfreakinbelievable! lol